Sunday, March 15, 2009

2 months to go!

I only have 2 months left until I graduate with my MBA. If you'd have asked me a few years ago if I'd ever get an MBA, I would have laughed at you. My undergrad degree was in Psychology. I also took a lot of classes in Logic and Philosophy, as well as Linguistics. At the time I really had no idea what I'd end doing with a Psychology degree.

I occasionally mused about pursuing further education and eventually becoming a Psychology professor. But my interest in that diminished significantly as I neared graduation. I also toyed with the idea of becoming a Lawyer. My dad is a lawyer and until quite recently he'd always suggested that being a lawyer was no fun. So in retrospect, I'm glad that didn't pan out.

I also thought about Architecture. I loved architectural drafting back in high school. After I graduated I went back and took an Architecture class at the University of Calgary. For whatever reason though, that also didn't work out.

I worked for about 4 years after college, and as I saw how different companies operated and how incompetent some people in executive positions could be, I began to gain a rudimentary interest in business. Taking the GMAT (test required for entrance to an MBA program) had been on my to do list for quite some time.

As my dissatisfaction at work increased I finally got to the point where I was sufficiently motivated to start an earnest attempt to get into business school. I began by making a list of about 100 schools that I would consider applying to. Over a period of several months I narrowed this list down until I only had about 8. The schools I left on my list were:
  • University of Victoria
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of Calgary
  • University of Alberta
  • University of Toronto
  • Cornell University
  • University of Arizona
  • Arizona State University
These schools all had different application deadlines and so I finished them in the order they were due. The first two that had to be completed were Cornell and ASU. I had mostly completed the applications for the other 6 schools, but I hadn't submitted any of them yet when I received an invitation to interview at ASU. I was given the option to do an in-person interview in Tempe, AZ, or to do a video-chat interview from wherever I was at the time. I chose to go to Arizona so that I could see the campus and get a feel for what the school was like. I really enjoyed the interview and the campus tour, but I continued preparing my other applications while I waited to hear from ASU.

During this time I also got a denial letter from Cornell, which was disappointing, but not unexpected. Then I got accepted to ASU. I was thrilled about it. So much so that I dropped all my other outstanding applications. So it ended up that I applied to two schools and got accepted at one of them, Since then most people I've talked to have said that I would have been crazy to want to go to Cornell. It's a great school, but apparently Ithica, NY is a miserable place to live for most of the year.

So after the most intense (by far) two years of my life I find myself here about to graduate. I've got only two classes left to finish in the next 8 weeks. Now I have to move on to another stage of life. I am certainly not ruling out further education, but in the immediate future I must find a job. Not just any old job either. I have to find the kind of job that will allow me to pay off excessive student loans! I'm currently working for a medical device company as an intern, but I'm not 100% sure that there will be a permanent position for me there. There is also the complication that I'm not an American, which generally scares off most potential employers.

Anyway, I didn't say it was an interesting story. Ha ha ha.

4 comments:

Bray said...

Congratulations Jarom, this may sound weird because it sounds very "Mom" like, but I am really really proud of you. You are such a talented smart man and I know you will do great things. It is also a scary time as you try to solidify what you want to do. Chris will graduate with his Doctorate in 2 months also and I am so proud of him for working so hard to further his education. Congrats to you both!!

said...

I am so impressed at your determination...you are leaving a great legacy for your beautiful family.....you rock

JJ Olsen said...

Hey Joe, (Can I call you Joe?)
Thanks for all the comments. You remind me that I should update my blog more often. Interesting that you live in Mesa. Bad timing huh? I just left Mesa 4 months ago. I lived in Dobson Ranch near the 60 and the 101. So, what have you been up to for the past 10 years?

said...

Hey Jarom,

You can call me Joe or whatever you like, just don’t call me late for dinner. During Conference yesterday I got to thinking about my mission and I decided to search for you to see what you been up to. Good to see that you have a blog, even if you do not post very often. I had fun reading through it and seeing your girls on your You tube channel. They are very cute and they look like tons of fun. I am sure you are an awesome dad.

Yeah, too bad we did not connect while you and your family lived down here. I would have loved to meet your family and have you meet mine. What an opportunity missed.

Anyways my life in the last 10 years has been filled with joy, sorrow and death and milestones…yep that is about it ……nothing more to tell (I AM JOKING!).

Here is a mini summary:

2000 - I came home from the mission to Phoenix. I left on my mission from Houston, but about a month after I left my mom and sister moved to Colorado and my dad had already lived in Arizona for years. I was in Phoenix for about 2 months, I worked at the Ritz Carlton over at 24th Street & Camelback. That got old real quick so I decided I was going to head up to Utah to go to school. My dad asked if he could come with me. I wanted to be on my own. But he had a job where he was always traveling and was never home so I allowed him to move with me. Actually it turned out pretty sweet, originally I was planning to find a small apartment but since my dad was there he end up with a house in Alpine, Utah, he was always out of town and I had the whole house to myself. I started school that fall. I went to UVSC which is now UVU.

2001- In 2001 I was in school for the first part of the year. After the first semester, I took off to Seattle and Portland to sell home security systems door to door as a summer job. I was surprised how well it turned out. I made enough money to pay for school, living expenses and dating money for the whole next year. When the summer was over I moved back to Utah and started school again, dated a few people and I was having a great time with life. In October 2001 I met a girl named Kristy, she was a single mother of little boy and girl. Treyson was 7 and Jenessa was 5 . I knew with in the first couple of weeks I wanted her as my wife. I proposed to her on December 5th, and she said yes!

2002 - I was still in school but was not happy with the construction management degree I was working towards. I knew I was not the type of person who wants to babysit a bunch of people and make sure things go smoothly. The semester end and in May 2, 2002, Kristy and I got married in the Mount Timpanogos Temple. Kristy and I both wanted to move from Utah and so in June we move down to Scottsdale near where Kristy had found a job. I just worked at different places and went to school working on a business degree.

2003 to Present - We bought our first home in Mesa in October 2003. Most recently Kristy graduated ASU in December 2009 and she just started law school in August. I have been a commercial real estate broker for almost 6 years now and I love it. I enjoy working with people. Kristy’s kids moved to live with their father a few years ago. So we are empty nesters. Treyson is 16 now and Jenessa is 14. They both are doing well. Blending a family is a hard thing to do, but well worth trying. Trey wants to go on a mission after he is done with High School and Jenessa is a straight A student and plans to go to BYU. Kristy and I plan on having another kid or two in the next few years.

Anyways, how is it being back in Canada? Were you able to find a job? I hope everyone is doing well and are happy.

My email is jgduncan@gmail.com

Keep up on your blog and I will check in and comment from time to time.

Your non-eternal companion,

Joseph

P.S. You were my favorite person I met on the mission. I would have told you that earlier but I am really bad at keeping in touch with people.