Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Home Alone 5 - Unemployed MBA in AZ"

Some of you are probably wondering why I'm not in Canada at Tiffany and Jimmy's wedding. Without boring you with all the details, it's because I can't leave the country and then re-enter until a particular visa application is approved AND I have a job. Because both of these criteria are so-far unmet, I have to stay put for the time being. Chrissy, Laela, and Ivy all flew out this morning to Calgary, and it was sad for me to have to say goodbye to them at the airport.

But anyway, on a happier note, I am finished with my MBA. We had two graduation ceremonies last week. On Wednesday we had the President of the United States of America give us a little pep talk in Sun Devil Stadium about how to deal with the 'current economic climate' (which means good luck finding a job!). Then on Saturday we had the MBA graduation at Wells Fargo Arena. It's nice to be done, but I've become so accustomed to being a student, that I'm not yet sure what to do with myself.

So now I'm looking for a job. My MBA was in Marketing, and specifically focused on the marketing of services; so if any of you are executives at companies that are trying to figure out how to market services, please hire me.

It's only been about 9 hours that I've been home alone, but it feels like it has been a week. Other than trying to get a job, I don't really have anything else important to do. Today I bought a new 4pin/4pin IEEE 1394 cable so I can communicate via video with my family and others in Canada over the next several days. I'm reluctant to do any major home/yard improvements as we may not be living here for too much longer. Of course I will have plenty of time to play the piano, but two or three hours of that each day is about the most I can take.

Another thing I might do with all this time is catch up on some reading. I pretty much only been reading business cases and textbooks for the past 2 years, so I welcome the opportunity to dig in to a novel. Any suggestions? I like stories that are complicated, have lots of robots, and are grounded in fundamental philosophical problems. Ha ha ha. I added the robots so nobody would suggest any of the 'classics.'

Well, anyway, anyone please feel free to give me suggestions for either jobs, books to read, songs to learn on the piano, or just things to do for the next three weeks!

3 comments:

brooklyn said...

dang, we will miss you.

Brittany Anne said...

you could pick up knitting and have make a doily for each of your girls when they get homw.
i missed you.

Laurel said...

this comes late as I just saw your blog today, but you should get back into art. you are very talented and did some awesome stuff in high school.
next suggestion is to get a bike and invent an airconditioned hat and shirt to wear while riding in AZ